First mama provide some guidance in the 田字格 with highlighter, then I just guide him with the three strokes, and viola.. he can write the word quite independently.
Writing Chinese words is not about repetition, children need to understand 字体结构. Which is why I highlight the box with yellow highlighter. 笔画 is very important for writing! You can start exposing your child to 笔画 from 3-4yrs old. Writing can start when they are ready.
Remember when it comes to learning Mandarin, 听说读写 is the key to learning.
And when it comes to pencil gripe, I suggest you can expose your child from 3-4 year old. But as all children develop differently, I also suggest you can also expose them to the following activities to improve on their fine motor skills so it can help them in pencil gripe later on.
Some of the many activities
1. Sensorial play with boiled pasta or uncooked rice (from 6 months)
2. Sand or water play (from 12 months)
3. Threading with large beads (from 18 mths due to safety)
4. Squeeze pegs (from 18-24 mths)
5. Play dough - I made my own and they are for sale at my Etsy shop (search for adorablesco) - (from 18-24 mths)
6. Push pipe cleaners into cardboard with holes (from 12-18 mths)
Aren't you amazed at how young your child can start and build their fine motor skill?
Sent from Connie's iPhone