Sunday, June 15, 2014

A peek into the after work hours of a FTWM..

Are you a mom-to-be? Or perhaps you want to know more on how working mums cope with their families after work?

If you are a little interested to know the roles of a FTWM * (acronym for Full Time Working Mum), here will be a small snippet of my version. You might have probably seen a similar one that I had wrote in 2012 and 2013 and it is amazing how much things have changed since then as we are expecting our #3 to arrive in November later this year.

So here is the typical weekday after work routines, tips and tricks of my role as a FTWM.

I am very blessed as this time round, my hub's work schedule allows him to send me and Dora to and fro school which really makes my shuttling with a toddler much easier. A normal day will be us setting off from home at about 745am and reaching home will be around 630pm. Thank God for workplaces near home.

After a good hot shower and a dinner prepared by my helper, here are the night routines that I will have with the children. Thus the quality time will formally start from 8pm to 9-930pm.

TIP #1: Always encourage bonding among the siblings
Do allow the children play together but of course, we can always join in the fun with them. Weekdays nights are usually gadget free, except for Fridays nights.


Dora in Isa's arms. I was asking if he could still carry Meimei and he said he would love to try (this overweight) lil girl.
Such precious moments are meant to be kept.

TIP #2: Break from routines once in a while 
This was a thursday night when we decided to give the helper a break as Isa needs a hair cut so here we are at the mall. A short visit to the library makes the lil man really happy.


waiting for his haircut after borrowing books from the library.


another night when we shopped for groceries that were running low.

TIP #3: Be organised and delegate your duties
  • As Isa is being taken care of my helper during the day time, I will set aside some work to be done by him after school so this routine not only help to remind him that he has work but it had also helped him to maintain his own discipline in his work. To be frank, I do check his school bag on a daily basis but I dont micro manage him as I feel self discipline from a young age goes a long way.



His random assessment books on the study table.


The schedule that I will write on every Friday/Saturday night to prepare Isa for the coming week.

  • Another person that I am very thankful for is actually my very good helper. She has been with us for 2 years for now and we are only more than happy that she accepts our offer of a new contract. She is just my right hand woman at home. Chores and such are no longer a worry so long as she is around and the children love her so much. She made me realized that helpers are like God's version of sending angels into our lives. She may be imperfect but guess we learn so much with her along the way in our lives too.

Our auntie is very camera shy and it is no easy to capture a shot of her.
This was taken earlier this Feb when it was her birthday.



TIP #4: Personal time is very important
An easy night would be the children sleeping by 9pm. On great days like that, I can always choose to sleep soon right after them, or sometimes doze off before them, or even choose to turn on the computer to blog away. The former choice is definitely the favourable for now as I think I need lots and lots of sleep. Else I will always chat away with ah lao once the children are settle down. Dont ever forget about coupletime. Though it may seemed a little different after 2 children, but I never forget to spend quality time with my big baby.

This is so much about my typical weekdays routines and hope some of the tips can help you.

Tomorrow we are happy to have Susan from http://www.ajugglingmom.com

Susan is full-time working mum who blogs at ajugglingmom.com. As a FTWM, there are never enough hours in a day for Susan, so she's always doing a juggling act between the family and work being a nurturing mum, loving wife and a career woman which is the inspiration behind her blog name, A Juggling Mom. 

Her blog documents her journey and adventures as a mother to a pre-schooler and she hopes to share her story and resources on how mums can lead a balanced life to be happy, healthy and fulfilled mums.


This post is part of a blog train hosted by Christy from Kids 'R' Simple on "A Peek into the After Work Hours of a FTWM". Read about how 22 FTWMs from Singapore Mom Bloggers handle their kids and household everyday from 1 June to 22 June. The aim is to give other working mums motivation, ideas and support to deal with the everyday demands of juggling work and family while keeping sane. We will be happy to hear your story, tips and even an encouraging word will make our day! Share your thoughts in the comments!




3 comments:

Christy @ kidsrsimple.com said...

Thanks for sharing your tips in this blog train! A good helper is indeed very helpful to working mums so that they can leave for work in peace of mind :) You are really lucky to have one!

Susan said...

Thanks for the introduction Connie. Yes, agree that couple time is so very important to keep the romance alive.

Vilma said...

I like your tips! And the picture of siblings bonding is adorable <3 <3 <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...