Monday, September 26, 2011

Kiasu-ism..

Inspirations to write this blog came from my forum friend with his entry titled
"Should We Really Be So Kiasu?" and his came from this original entry.


I reckon this is one of our main concerns esp when we are in a society which focuses so much on academic studies. I will not deny the fact that I am kiasu too. Like many others, I started many activities that involved learning including flashcards and bedtime stories with my son even before he turned one. I guess being a ex-preschool teacher aids my interests to "groom"my son helps. But frankly speaking, I did not remember anything I did with Isadore lasted for more than 6 months as there was ALWAYS something along the way which I thought it would suit him better.

Then when Isa turned 8 months, I moved back with my parents and stayed with them for abt 2 yrs due to my work. I would say I am very blessed as my mom is an enthusiastic grandmother who loves to teach her darling grandson. Thus up till todate, Isadore is a merticulous child who does his work consciously and he ALWAYS has a sharp eye for details.

Anyway after this long journey of teaching and learning and having this wonderful boy, I always remind myself of this:
Academic can wait, but character building cant.

I would say I feel glad esp reading the original post abt "What a four year old should know" as at the end of the day, I am very proud of my Isadore who actually knows and understand these:

  1. She should know that she is loved wholly and unconditionally, all of the time. (In other words: LOVE)
  2. He should know that he is safe and he should know how to keep himself safe in public, with others, and in varied situations. He should know that he can trust his instincts about people and that he never has to do something that doesn’t feel right, no matter who is asking. He should know his personal rights and that his family will back them up. (In another words: Being sensitive)
  3. She should know how to laugh, act silly, be goofy and use her imagination. She should know that it is always okay to paint the sky orange and give cats 6 legs. (In another words: Humour)
  4. He should know his own interests and be encouraged to follow them. If he could care less about learning his numbers, his parents should realize he’ll learn them accidentally soon enough and let him immerse himself instead in rocket ships, drawing, dinosaurs or playing in the mud. (In another words: Reflection and self realisation)
  5. She should know that the world is magical and that so is she. She should know that she’s wonderful, brilliant, creative, compassionate and marvelous. She should know that it’s just as worthy to spend the day outside making daisy chains, mud pies and fairy houses as it is to practice phonics. Scratch that– way more worthy. (In another words: Intrapersonal skills)
So is your child the same too? :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...